First Grand Prix win for Nicolas Aubin at wet Loket
A rainy Loketske Serpentiny
hosted a hard fought FIM Motocross Grand Prix of Czech Republic, the eleventh round of the season, which was attended by a total of 24,000 spectators.
After two breathtaking MX1 moto’s, Kevin Strijbos (BEL, Suzuki) won the third Grand Prix of his career as a surprising Nicolas Aubin (FRA, Yamaha) finished the MX2 GP with an unexpected first place overall, which marked his first career win.
With a double heat win, Suzuki’s Kevin Strijbos made up for his recent left knee problems and clinched victory number two of the season in the venue where he grasped his first GP win back in 2005. Sebastien Pourcel (FRA, Kawasaki) of GPKR finished with a second place overall after a great recovery in moto one, where he crashed at the first corner, while David Philippaerts (ITA, KTM) of KTM Red Bull completed the podium. Tanel Leok (EST, Kawasaki) and Julien Bill (SUI, Honda) rounded off the top five.
MX1 Race 1
In this eventful opening moto, Mike Brown USA, Honda) took the holeshot but was then passed by a very motivated Jonathan Barragan (ESP, KTM); the Spaniard tasted the virtual win for only two laps, stalling the bike and handing the lead to Kevin Strijbos. The Belgian made to pass three riders in just one lap –the ninth one- and lead the second half of the heat to clinch the eventual win.
Kevin Strijbos (BEL, Suzuki) / Photo by: Jens Pohl
David Philippaerts rode to a safe second place after he blocked Ken De Dycker’s (BEL, Honda) attacks; after a bad start, Ken recovered from fourteenth to third, ahead of Julien Bill. Bill clinched his best heat finish of his career, while a consistent Tanel Leok completed the top five. A hyper-fast Sebastien Pourcel had a first corner crash, but came back up from the bottom of the group to a brilliant sixth.
On the other hand Joshua Coppins (NZL, Yamaha) stalled the bike after a stone blocked his rear brake lever; he rejoined the race to finish twenty second. Barragan dnf’d after a crash.
MX1 Race 2
Mike Brown took another holeshot but Sebastien Pourcel was on a mission and snatched the lead; Pourcel pulled away from the rest of the field but was caught by a fast Kevin Strijbos. A close fight between the two ended with Strijbos first and Pourcel second; both kept their positions until the chequered flag, while Jonathan Barragan finished third, making up for moto one. The Spaniard, riding with no goggles in the second half of the heat, felt some pressure when Steve Ramon (BEL, Suzuki) – who crashed into him in moto one - moved up to fourth, giving chase in the final laps.
Sebastien Pourcel (FRA, Kawasaki) / Photy by: Jens Pohl
A strong Barragan defended the third place to finish ahead of Ramon, while Tanel Leok rounded off the top five. Julien Bill finished seventh, as David Philippaerts crashed once and ended ninth ahead of Brown.
Joshua Coppins crashed hard, as his rear brake did not work when the Kiwi used it to enter a turn. Coppins will be visited by a doctor tomorrow, to check his conditions before the forthcoming GP at Namur.
Event Results Class MX1, Loket:
- Strijbos, Kevin (BEL, Suzuki), 25 - 25 - 50 points
- Pourcel, Sebastien (FRA, Kawasaki), 15 - 22 - 37
- Philippaerts, David (ITA, KTM), 22 - 12 - 34
- Leok, Tanel (EST, Kawasaki), 16 - 16 - 32
- Bill, Julien (SUI, Honda), 18 - 14 - 32
- Ramon, Steve (BEL, Suzuki), 12 - 18 - 30
- Mackenzie, Billy (GBR, Kawasaki), 14 - 15 - 29
- Renet, Pierre A. (FRA, Honda), 13 - 13 - 26
- Barragan, Jonathan (ESP, KTM), 0 - 20 - 20
- de Dycker, Ken (BEL, Honda), 20 - 0 - 20
- Brown, Mike (USA, Honda), 6 - 11 - 17
- Noble, James (GBR, Honda), 7 - 10 - 17
- van Daele, Marvin (BEL, Honda), 9 - 7 - 16
- Desalle, Clement (BEL, Suzuki), 10 - 6 - 16
- de Reuver, Marc (NED, Yamaha), 11 - 0 - 11
- Priem, Manuel (BEL, TM), 0 - 9 - 9
- Chiodi, Alessio (ITA, Aprilia), 4 - 5 - 9
- Salvini, Alex (ITA, Yamaha), 0 - 8 - 8
- Theybers, Danny (BEL, Suzuki), 5 - 3 - 8
- Leok, Aigar (EST, Yamaha), 8 - 0 - 8
- Melotte, Cedric (BEL, Aprilia), 2 - 4 - 6
- Kadlecek, Michal (CZE, Honda), 1 - 2 - 3
- Leonce, Loic (FRA, Yamaha), 3 - 0 - 3
- Nemeth, Kornel (HUN, Suzuki), 0 - 1 - 1
A Yamaha affair ended with the maiden GP victory of Ricci Racing’s Nicolas Aubin; an injured Tony Cairoli (ITA, Yamaha) of De Carli Team rode to an eventual second place, while KTM Red Bull’s youngster Tommy Searle (GBR, KTM) shook off a heavy cold by completing the podium. Stephen Sword (GBR, Kawasaki) had his best overall finish since he came back to the GP scene at Uddevalla. The Brit was fourth ahead of Kawasaki fellow rider Christophe Pourcel (FRA, Kawasaki).
MX2 Race 1
Thanks to a storming start, Tony Cairoli could pull away with the lead and also clocked the fastest lap of the race with three laps to go. A strong Nicolas Aubin surrendered to the Italian and finished second, suffering from a light arm pump.
Antonio Cairoli (ITA, Yamaha) / Photo by: Jens Pohl
Pascal Leuret (FRA, Honda) was cruising in third place when he was passed by Tommy Searle first, then by countryman Christophe Pourcel –riding ill- who got a bad start. Leuret settled down for fifth, as Pourcel speeded up to catch third placed Searle. The Brit was warned by his team, and increased his rhythm to secure the position.
Pourcel was fourth, as Tyla Rattray (RSA, KTM) made up for a first corner crash with an eight place. Sword rounded off the top ten. Kenneth Gundersen (NOR, Yamaha) sat out of the two heats after yesterday’s crash, where he injured his right shoulder.
MX2 Race 2
Nicolas Aubin got the holeshot and rode a flawless heat to clinch his maiden victory; Antonio Cairoli pushed hard to catch him, but a crash convinced the Sicilian to settle down for the second place. Tommy Searle finished once again third, but had to speed up in the final laps as Davide Guarneri had become a threat.
Nicolas Aubin (FRA, Yamaha) / Photo by: Jens Pohl
Davide Guarneri (ITA, Yamaha) ended the heat in fourth behind Searle, taking his revenge from the mechanical failure of moto one. Stephen Sword rounded off the top five, after he had stayed with the leaders for the first three laps; Christophe Pourcel got another bad start and ended twelfth, while Pascal Leuret crashed, injuring his left foot and shoulder. Once again Tyla Rattray crashed in the opening lap, but a right knee injury prevented him from continuing the heat.
Event Results Class MX2, Loket:
- Aubin, Nicolas (FRA, Yamaha), 22 - 25 - 47 points
- Cairoli, Antonio (ITA, Yamaha), 25 - 22 - 47
- Searle, Tommy (GBR, KTM), 20 - 20 - 40
- Sword, Stephen (GBR, Kawasaki), 11 - 16 - 27
- Pourcel, Christophe (FRA, Kawasaki), 18 - 9 - 27
- Tarroux, Jeremy (FRA, KTM), 12 - 13 - 25
- Swanepoel, Gareth (RSA, Kawasaki), 15 - 5 - 20
- Schiffer, Marcus (GER, KTM), 8 - 11 - 19
- Bonini, Matteo (ITA, Yamaha), 9 - 10 - 19
- Guarneri, Davide (ITA, Yamaha), 0 - 18 - 18
- Seistola, Matti (FIN, Honda), 3 - 15 - 18
- Paulin, Gautier (FRA, Honda), 6 - 12 - 18
- Monni, Manuel (ITA, Yamaha), 10 - 8 - 18
- Boog, Xavier (FRA, Yamaha), 14 - 4 - 18
- Leuret, Pascal (FRA, Honda), 16 - 0 - 16
- Goncalves, Rui (POR, KTM), 0 - 14 - 14
- Rattray, Tyla (RSA, KTM), 13 - 0 - 13
- Boissiere, Anthony (FRA, Kawasaki), 4 - 6 - 10
- Verbruggen, Dennis (BEL, Yamaha), 5 - 3 - 8
- Dougan, Jason (GBR, Suzuki), 0 - 7 - 7
- Barr, Martin (GBR, Yamaha), 7 - 0 - 7
- Campano, Carlos (ESP, Yamaha), 2 - 2 - 4
- Terreblanche, Shannon (RSA, Suzuki), 0 - 1 - 1
- Musquin, Marvin (FRA, Kawasaki), 1 - 0 - 1
In the World Championships Standings
Even scoring no points in this eleventh round, Joshua Coppins stays on top of the standings; Steve Ramon is second and reduced the gap to 77 points. Sebastien Pourcel is third, closing in on Ramon, but David Philippaerts looks forward to move in front of the Frenchman, as he is currently fourth. Kevin Strijbos is now rounding off the top five.
With a 122 point advantage over runner up Christophe Pourcel, Tony Cairoli leads the MX2 series. Tyla Rattray is still third but scored only 13 points today, and fourth placed Tommy Searle is closing in. Pascal Leuret kept the fifth place, ahead of Gareth Swanepoel (RSA, Kawasaki).
Season Standings Class MX1:
- Coppins, J. (NZL), 445 points
- Ramon, St. (BEL), 368
- Pourcel, S. (FRA), 322
- Philippaerts, D. (ITA), 312
- Strijbos, K. (BEL), 300
- Barragan, J. (ESP), 292
- de Dycker, K. (BEL), 276
- Brown, M. (USA), 272
- Leok, T. (EST), 272
- Mackenzie, B. (GBR), 247
- Noble, J. (GBR), 212
- Priem, M. (BEL), 164
- Nemeth, K. (HUN), 153
- de Reuver, M. (NED), 147
- Bill, J. (SUI), 115
- van Daele, M. (BEL), 109
- Nagl, M. (GER), 107
- Crockard, G. (IRL), 102
- Leok, A. (EST), 92
- Renet, P. (FRA), 91
Season Standings Class MX2:
- Cairoli, A. (ITA), 533 points
- Pourcel, C. (FRA), 411
- Rattray, T. (RSA), 371
- Searle, T. (GBR), 351
- Leuret, P. (FRA), 320
- Swanepoel, G. (RSA), 265
- Aubin, N. (FRA), 262
- Seistola, M. (FIN), 200
- Gundersen, K. (NOR), 197
- Boissiere, A. (FRA), 171
- Schiffer, M. (GER), 171
- Guarneri, D. (ITA), 154
- Nunn, C. (GBR), 143
- Boog, X. (FRA), 135
- Goncalves, R. (POR), 122
- Church, T. (GBR), 97
- Dougan, J. (GBR), 81
- Bonini, M. (ITA), 79
- Tarroux, J. (FRA), 77
- Verbruggen, D. (BEL), 77